In follow up/ conversation with these preceding awesome posts Nerdy Apple Bottom and Woogsworld, I have come up with another list (damn my love of dot points) in response to those people to whom being gay or looking like anything they perceive as gay or effeminate is too much to accept. This is at the risk of putting forward any of my own (mainly political) prejudices.
These are in no order other than how they sprang to mind:
I’d rather my child was gay than a heterosexual...:
· paid up member of the Ku Klux Klan
· paid up member of the Republican Tea Party
· Sarah Palin
· wife beater
· child abuser
· person who is disrespectful to little old ladies or men
· armed robber
· corrupt cop
· that abuses their position of power or responsibility
· unable to take responsibility for their own actions
· who commits genocide
· who destroys or denigrates the environment for their own gain
· who claims to be Christian but lives a judgemental, closed minded life
· member of the board of the Commonwealth Bank and voted for a doubling in the mortgage rate rise. (See Bern Morley's The only way is up - baby for a fantastic evisceration of banks).
· moronic thug footballing type of any code who does what his mates do because he can’t think for himself
· exploiter of others
I know from experience the difficulty gay people have in coming out, and in continuing to not be themselves to those they know won’t understand or accept them. It is such utter bullshit that they feel they have to do that.
I for one believe that homosexual couples should have the right to marry and to have children if that is their wish. When that happens it will go some way to de-stigmatising homosexuality or bisexuality or whatever. When all people share the same rights and responsibilities then hopefully differences or variances in sexuality or any other aspect will be so utterly irrelevant as to not be a point of discussion.
It will start with us and our kids and we can make it happen.
Do you agree? Feel free to add more.